Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Escher Drawing

This type of drawing was inspired by the famous artist, Escher, who often sketched buildings with perspective and strange creatures. This drawing included a structure that was made three dimensional by using two point perspective. In order to do this, we created a horizon line towards the middle of the paper and extended it onto two different sheets to the left and right of the actual drawing sheet. On the extended paper we drew a vanishing point on each side to where all of the lines met. I drew the front of the house first and extended the lines to the vanishing point to make it three dimensional, and then used the same vanishing points for the side of the house. In making the roof of the house I found the middle of the front wall and back wall of the house, then created the size of the roof based on the triangle in the front. Then I connected the peak of the roof to the line extending from the middle of the back wall and drew it to the vanishing point. Then where that line ended I connected it to the back corner of the house. That way I had the correct three dimensional, two point perspective of this house. In order to make it more Escher-like, I then had to add some imaginative creatures and situations as well as value. My house structure is being lifted into the air by the balloons tied to the top of its roof. It's far in the sky, therefore the sun appears closer and the clouds are bigger, and you can see new imaginative creatures. There is a devil poking out of the sun because of it's heat and an angel poking out of the cloud because of it's peace and happiness. I included the value by the light source, which in this painting is the sun. The front side of the house is not facing the sun at all so it is the .darkest side with it's shading, while the top left corner of the roof is straight in the sun so it is not shaded at all. The balloons are also shaded depending on their location in correspondence to the sun, and the cloud gets darker as it moves away from the light source. The last example of the value in my drawing is the small shadow underneath the house to further imply that the house is in the air and casting the tiny shadow below it. If i did this project again I would probably work to add more Escher-inspired details. I ran out of time but I wanted to include a checkerboard or tesselations somewhere in my project, so I would definitely add those next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment