Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Landscape Painting

I created my landscape painting by choosing a picture I took from the beach and transferring it to the painting using acrylic paints and different sizes of paintbrushes. I planned my composition by choosing a picture that had somewhat symmetry and balance to make the painting very pleasing to the eye. Then, I made a plan on how to fit the picture on my painting and what brush strokes to use with sharpie on a white sheet of paper. After that, I made sure to include atmospheric perspective, which is the idea that as things go back farther into the distance, they have less intensity and details. I created my atmospheric perspective in the houses in the background of my painting. Up close these houses are light colors, but in the picture the atmospheric perspective hazes that. Therefore, I used their colors with less intensity and included only the big details of the houses. I also created a light source in my painting by the direction the sun is coming from. My painting is of a sunset falling over the bay area, and this setting sun is just hidden by the horizon. The light is then reflected in the water and also shown in the shadows of the houses and in the value of the horizon. My color scheme was complementary, blue and orange. I was able to use many shades of these colors to emphasize the dark and tints to emphasize the lighter areas facing the light source. I used many different brush strokes depending on the texture of the structure. For the water of the bay I did wavy brush strokes to represent the current and how the water moved. The sky changed values a lot so i used straight back and forth strokes with layers of colors to represent the silky sky. I used value in my painting in the sky to show where the light source was and emphasize things that were closer than those that were farther away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment