Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pastel Still Life Project

I planned my composition for this project by setting up the water bottles to get as much of the color and diversity of the arrangement in the drawing. I set up many different possible perspectives to use as my final layout for the drawing until I found the perfect one. I used the viewfinder to make many thumbnail sketches until I found my favorite. A thumbnail sketch is a smaller version of a planned larger drawing, mostly used to determine composition. The viewfinder helped me to determine my composition by allowing me to plan several different set-ups and imagine what they would look like as the drawing, and then pick the best one. I made items appear three dimensional by using value to emphasize that the objects were rounded and three dimensional, and shadows to show that they took up space and were not flat. I created a light source by again using value and having shadows cast in the opposite direction of my light source, and creating lighter value on the side of the light source. In this still life drawing, my light source is in the top left corner that casts shadows angled towards the bottom left corner. I also used darker shades of the color on the table when casting the shadows because shadows are not just black. If I had to do this project again, I would add some more props besides bottles to my still life to add variety and make the composition more interesting. This project was definitely my favorite out of all that we did, because I enjoyed working with the colorful pastels and felt really good about my finishing piece.                              

No comments:

Post a Comment